5 Cement Fireplace Ideas

- house inspiration, let's build a house, Uncategorized

Hello industrial! Cement almost does the same thing to me as raw steel, it gets my heart a pumpin’ and I adore it. It’s modern and masculine and exactly what I like. (I know I’m a girl and I shouldn’t love masculine design like I do, but it’s so edgy). The large cement blocks really set the focal point in a room and the hard cool surface really demands attention. I like this because it makes it easy to balance out the masculine cement by adding in warm soft textures in the finishing touches like the blankets and rugs.

Because we’ll have a pretty warm and modern kitchen, wood with white, I think it’s safe to take a little risk on our fireplace. We have a two story great room, so the fireplace reaching almost 21 feet high and 6 feet wide could be quite the focal piece if we do it right.  Here are some of my favorite looks of modern/industrial cement fireplaces that I’ve found. We’ll incorporate a few of them in our own design. Wish us luck.

1. Cement Fireplace Ideas

2. Mantel and 3.Hearth Ideas

I’m pretty set on the cement being the base of the fireplace but the mantel and hearth (the surface in front of and/or on the sides of the firebox) adds an entirely new variable to the fireplace design. A couple things I like are 1. the asymmetrical look is everywhere, lots of modern fireplaces are leaving the hearth longer on one side than the other.  2. I love the idea of having the hearth and mantel in a contrasting color as the fireplace background or even a contrasting material.
These guys put a thin piece of steel as their mantel. So cool.

4. TV Ideas

The dreaded TV. I hate even talking about how much I despise putting a TV above our fireplace. It will basically ruin any artistic value the cement fireplace might have had (yes, I am allowed to be dramatic about this one). Aesthetically I truly don’t want to put it above our fireplace but in this case practicality wins. Having a TV in our living area is practical and since the fireplace will take up most of our wall (yes, we’ll only have one usable wall because one is full of windows, one is an open staircase, and the other is open to the kitchen) so it has to be the place for both. Because of this, I found some gorgeous rooms that the TV still would look classy against a cement fireplace. There’s even an idea about a hidden TV. Hmmmmm…

5.Wood Additions

Even though we are using a gas burning fireplaces, I still adore the addition of a wood element to a fireplace as a little natural decoration to incorporate the warmness of wood.
What do you think? Do you like the look of a cement fireplace and what do you think makes them work in a room?
Previous Story
Next Story

You Might Also Like

24 Comments

Ludmilla @brazilianflairintheusablog
    September 17, 2015 at 1:43 pm

Nothing gives substance like cement!! I love all the contemporary living rooms!!

Mitzi
      September 17, 2015 at 2:59 pm

Thanks! It definitely isn’t the easiest to work with but that’s what makes it unique, right? Thanks for stopping by!

Nakeya
    September 17, 2015 at 1:43 pm

Wow… What am awesome post. I love all of the different design elements each of your pictures displayed. Each fireplace was absolutely fabulous. Thanks for sharing.

Mitzi
      September 17, 2015 at 2:58 pm

Thank you Nakeya! It’s a blessing and a curse that we can design it however we want. There are so many cool ideas out there!

Miss Angie
    September 17, 2015 at 2:37 pm

I love all of these! I really wish my house had a fireplace. Especially this morning when it was COLD. Which was both a surprise and made me wish I had a fireplace…

Mitzi
      September 17, 2015 at 2:56 pm

This will be our very first fireplace. It didn’t seem to logical when we lived in Vegas and now we moved we thought we might like one for the cold mornings too. Thanks Angie!

Jenita
      June 9, 2017 at 3:22 am

This is a most useful coinbtrution to the debate

Denay DeGuzman
    September 17, 2015 at 6:50 pm

These are all fabulous looks! I too love modern design, and a cement fireplace would be an awesome focal point in a living room with high ceilings. I love the clean, crisp, modern edge cement fireplaces can give to a broad living space. I can hardly wait to view photos of your own beautiful project once it’s completed!

Mitzi torgersen
      September 17, 2015 at 7:08 pm

Thanks Denay! It will definitely be a huge project but will be fun when it is done. I love myself a good DIY!

Brandi
        June 9, 2017 at 1:55 am

Stay with this guys, you’re henplig a lot of people.

Jenna
    September 17, 2015 at 6:57 pm

These are cool! I particularly like the ones that are mixed with material such as wood or brick…it warms the concrete up a bit

Mitzi
      September 18, 2015 at 3:34 pm

Thanks Jenna!

Suzyn
      June 9, 2017 at 6:17 am

At last! Something clear I can unserdtand. Thanks!

Victoria
    September 17, 2015 at 9:26 pm

These are all so beautiful! I think I am going to have to stalk your blog more often…definitely happening 😉

Mitzi
      September 18, 2015 at 3:33 pm

You are so sweet! Thanks Victoria. xoxo!

Roberta
        June 9, 2017 at 3:14 am

Surripsingly well-written and informative for a free online article.

Silas Knight
    June 27, 2016 at 4:59 pm

I really like these fireplace ideas! I have never seen a cement fireplace before, so these look really unique. I really like the picture right before number 4, with the brick chimney and cement fireplace, that looks great.

Jennabel
      June 9, 2017 at 2:51 am

Thkniing like that shows an expert’s touch

Bélise
    August 16, 2016 at 5:12 pm

I never thought that cement would make a pretty a fireplace but your article and pictures have changed my mind. The industrial look is really big right now and I find myself liking it more and more. Cement is such an inexpensive material as well compared to brick and stone. Like you, I hate the tv above the fireplace design. It’s good to know that you found a solution for that! Thanks!

Kaitlyn
    November 1, 2016 at 4:21 pm

Wow! All of these are stunning. What a great way to add some appeal with concrete! I really like the mixed materials & textures. The glass fire place is too cool!

Jetsin
      June 9, 2017 at 2:55 am

Great common sense here. Wish I’d thohgut of that.

Mary E Mitchell
    November 8, 2016 at 10:14 am

Hey!

Giving the beautiful effect of wooden pieces around the fireplace just to beautify it is appealing and effective.I like your idea of getting a cemented fireplace.It is becoming trendy to place TV sets above the fireplace. The addition of hearth along the fireplace is a necessary element as it would not only look good but genuinely helpful too.If the mass of the fireplace is too much for the room, you can reduce it by adding sheetrock or paneling to the exterior.

Regards
    Mary

Western Heating and Gas Fitting
    January 24, 2017 at 8:39 pm

Wow. I Really like the look of some of the fireplace ideas. These design elements are modern and really nice to look at. It’s always nice to see something unique like this.

Great post, Mitzi. Thanks for sharing

Rock
      June 9, 2017 at 7:11 am

I watend to spend a minute to thank you for this.